The 39 Steps is a film directed by Alfred Hitchcock in 1935.
- Robert Donat as Richard Hannay
- Madeleine Carroll as Pamela Shaneakwa
- John Laurie as Crofter
- Godlfrey Tearle as Professor Jordan
- Peggy Ashcroft as Margaret, the crofter's Wife
- Lucie Mannheim as Annabelle
- Jerry Verno as Commercial Traveller
- Peggy Simpson as Maid
- Helen Haye as Mrs. Louisa Jordan, the professor's wife
- Gus McNaughton as Commercial Traveller
- Frank Cellier as Sheriff Watson
- Wyile Watson as Mr. Memory
- Matthew Boulton as Fake Policeman
- Frederick Piper as Milkman (uncredited)
Background Information Edit
Madeleine Carroll's welts on her wrists were real, from having been handcuffed to costar Donat for hours on end.
The apartment scene at the beginning was later spoofed by Mel Brooks and Madeline Kahn in High Anxiety.
- Directed by Alfred Hitchcock
- Produced by Michael Balcon
- Screenplay by Charles Bennett and John Hay Beith
- Music by Jack Beaver and Louis Levy
- Cinematography by Bernard Knowles
- Editing by Derek Twist