Psycho by Robert Bloch
John L. Russell
"A new - and altogether different - screen excitement."
June 16, 1960 (DeMille Theatre)
September 8, 1960 (United States)
Psycho is a 1960 film directed by Alfred Hitchcock.
- Janet Leigh as Marion Crane
- Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates
- John Gavin as Sam Loomis
- Vera Miles as Lila Crane
- Martin Balsam as Det. Milton Arbogast
- John McIntire as Sheriff Al Chambers
- Simon Oakland as Dr. Fred Richmond
- Frank Albertson as Tom Cassidy
- Pat Hitchcock as Caroline
- Vaughn Taylor as George Lowery
- Lurene Tuttle as Mrs. Chambers
- John Anderson as California Charlie
- Mort Mills as Highway patrolman
- Virginia Gregg, Jeanette Nolan, and Paul Jasmin (all uncredited) as the voice of Norma Bates
- Ted Knight (uncredited) as a police officer
- The film spawned several sequals and a Hollywood remake in 1997. Anthony Perkins and Vera Miles both participated in the sequels.
- The character of Loomis in the film Halloween was named after this film.
- As of 2011, Vera Miles John Gavin and Pat Hitchcock are the only surviving cast members.
- In a move that was unheard of at the time, Hitchcock personally insisted that audience members see the film from the beginning.
- It was based on the 1959 novel of the same name by Robert Bloch, which was loosely inspired by the case of convicted Wisconsin murderer and grave robber Ed Gein.
- Hitchcock acquired rights to the novel for $9,500 and reportedly ordered his assistant Peggy Robertson to buy up copies to preserve the novel's surprises.
- The success of Psycho jump-started Perkins' career, but he soon began to suffer from typecasting.
- Until her death, Leigh continued to receive strange and sometimes threatening calls, letters, and even tapes detailing what they would like to do to Marion Crane.
||Hitchcock is seen through an office window wearing a Stetson cowboy hat as Janet Leigh comes through the door.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.